Alright, we made this pie a couple of weeks ago, not even knowing that there was such a thing as National Pie Day. Really? Did anyone else know about this? And none of you said anything? My shock is beyond anything imaginable! I’m over it, let’s talk pie.
Coconut cream pie is one of those diner pies that I love to eat at 3am with with a side of fries. Sounds strange, but I love diner pie. It is often better tasting than the homemade pies that I’ve had, and always better than the Big Chain restaurants that dole out thousands of pieces near the Holidays. But what does a girl do when she’s not hanging out at diners in the middle of the night? She cons her mom (MadMom) into making one at home.
Here’s my MadMom’s take on the Coconut Cream Pie:
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3 Tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 Cups whole mik (or Half & Half if you’re feeling daring) we replaced 1/2 cup milk with 1/2 cup coconut milk this time to give it an extra punch and it was great!
- 1 1/2 Cups sweetened coconut flakes (fresh or frozen)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon coconut extract or flavoring
- 1 Cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 2 Cups chilled whipped cream
- 4 Tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut extract
Crust: Make your favorite!
Instructions to come…